Monday, April 07, 2003

MCCARTHYESQUE INTIMIDATION?

This morning I found this note posted under an anti-war sticker that I have on a filing cabinet next to my desk in the classroom where I teach:

What about freedom for the Iraqi People. What about stopping a mad mad man from killing his own people. Maybe, just maybe we could stick to the curriculum and not try to form political opinions, and using your classroom to do it.

Have a great day!


"Have a great day" indeed.

I'm not sure who did this--I think choir or orchestra was using my room over the weekend which explains how my room was accessed. The handwriting looks like an adult's, but it could be a well-bred teen's. The grammer and punctuation are also sloppy, but so are mine, depending on the circumstances. So it was probably some hawk student or some hawk teacher.

What the hell's up with this? I'm sure it's harmless, but it's a bit creepy, too.

Like I'm gonna stop talking about my anti-war stance at school. I mean, as far as I can tell the entire faculty is pro-war except for me. They're not quiet about their political views: why should I be? The truth is that from time to time I try to engage my students in debate about the crucial issues of the day, all the while, trying as hard as I can to show respect for their views. Sadly, it's pretty exciting to find the few students that are informed enough to have a political point of view; I'd be a fool to alienate any politically minded student, including the conservative ones: such people are kindred spirits. As far as I can see, my students understand where I'm coming from and often show a willingness to share opinions and views that they would not share in other classes. Attempting to indoctrinate anybody at all would make me like a conservative....ugh.

So anyway, the mysterious note-hawk's got it all wrong. On the war, too, but that goes without saying.

I'd like to say I'm not disturbed about receiving this message. But I can't.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$