Tuesday, September 23, 2003

THREE FROM ESCHATON

Black = Terrorist = Thug: The New Racial Profile?

A personal account in the Village Voice reveals how the "war on terrorism" unites with good old fashioned American racism to put the wrong man in jail for three Kafkaesque days:

Saturday night, November 23, 2002, I was pulled over on the Bruckner Expressway because of a broken taillight. The police officer who ran my license claimed I had multiple warrants out for my arrest, and I was thrown in jail to begin a weekend I will not soon forget.

During the next three days, I was interrogated about "terrorist activity"—whether I was involved with a terrorist group or knew anyone else who was—without an attorney present. My Legal Aid lawyer claimed she was also a medical professional and diagnosed me as mentally ill when I told her I teach poetry at New York University. After my bail was posted, I was held behind bars another night because central booking ran out of the receipts required for my release. On my third day in jail, accused of two misdemeanors and a felony I knew nothing about, I was finally found innocent, and allowed to go home.

These events are not in themselves that extraordinary. Black men and women in this country have for centuries experienced far worse episodes with law enforcement. This incident is striking because it occurred at a time when I have been working to expose the injustice and inhumanity of the prison crisis in America, and because it was not the first time I was unjustly jailed.


For the full story, click here.

Journo claims proof of WMD lies

Pilger uncovered video footage of Powell in Cairo on February 24, 2001 saying, "He (Saddam Hussein) has not developed any significant capability with respect to weapons of mass destruction. He is unable to project conventional power against his neighbours."

Two months later, Rice reportedly said, "We are able to keep his arms from him. His military forces have not been rebuilt."

Powell boasted this was because America's policy of containment and its sanctions had effectively disarmed Saddam.


Of course, we already knew that they were lying. Click here for more.

Instant messaging service workers warned of 9/11 attack

From the Israeli newspaper Ha'aretz:

Odigo, the instant messaging service, says that two of its workers received messages two hours before the Twin Towers attack on September 11 predicting the attack would happen, and the company has been cooperating with Israeli and American law enforcement, including the FBI, in trying to find the original sender of the message predicting the attack.

The more that information like this gets out, the more I drift into conspiracy-nut territory about 9/11. It sounds like somebody knew beforehand, but who? Click here for more.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$