Tuesday, October 21, 2003

BUZZFLASH INTERVIEWS TOM TOMORROW

BUZZFLASH: With so much hypocrisy, absurdity and lying, and such an Orwellian world that’s almost cartoonish in and of itself -- if it weren’t so threatening and tragic and menacing -- how do you settle on one idea? It’s hard for us to write an editorial because just when we think it’s gotten as bad as it can get, or as absurd as it can get, there’s something within the next hour that beats it.

TOMORROW: [laughter] Yeah, it is an embarrassment of riches right now for a cartoonist. And honestly, I would be happy to go back to a time when maybe the subject of my cartoons was not so immediately obvious. I would rather have to work a little harder. Having said that, there are times when there’s so much that I have a hard time. I think it sounds a little counter-intuitive, but it can actually be more difficult at times, because, as you say, reality has become satire.

In fact, when I was upstate giving one of these talks that I occasionally give to colleges, I have a visual presentation I give off my computer, and I usually open it up with that clip that was going around a few months ago of Bush saying, "There’s an old saying in Texas: you fool me once" -- and then he’d stumble over the rest. He had this astonishing blank look on his face. And the reason I open with that is precisely for this reason -- to discuss how difficult it is to be a satirist when real life has become satire, when that guy with that deer-in-the-headlights look on his face is the most powerful man in the world.


Click here for the full interview.

Tom Tomorrow's This Modern World strip is pretty funny this week, too: Interesting Things We Have Learned From Republicans Lately.

And here's one I've had on my fridge for nearly two years now.

I really love Tom Tomorrow!

Thanks to Eschaton for the interview link.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$