Thursday, November 27, 2003

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Thanksgiving, as taught in elementary school and understood by most Americans, is something of a myth. The Puritans preferred to see the heathen natives die, rather than have them as dinner guests. However, I agree, in principle, with the concept of giving thanks for what we have. After all, by world standards, most Americans are quite rich.

(This last statement is not to be understood as an endorsement of Bush economic policy--the distribution of wealth in the US is clearly unjust.)

Last night, my Southern Baptist mother told me over the phone that she was trying to find an appropriate Bible verse to write on small cards that she plans to give to the family with our feast. I told her to do a keyword search at Bible Gateway, a much used reference for me, but it was clear after a moment of trying to explain how to do this that it would be easier to do the search myself. I found a good one:

And he took the seven loaves and the fishes, and gave thanks, and brake them, and gave to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude.

Matthew 15:36

This verse is, of course, from the passage where Jesus feeds the masses. It is important to note that Jesus did not tell them to get a job or that it was their fault for being hungry.

Happy Thanksgiving!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$