Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Britney Spears aids gay marriage

From WorkingForChange:

Off they went to the Little White Wedding Chapel with Britney in her baseball cap and jeans. After 55 hours, the "I dos" became "I don'ts," the vows were annulled and assorted folks chimed in with the same thought: Hey, a man and woman can get married on a lark, but when a committed gay couple wants to make it legal, they're accused of wrecking the institution?

E.J. Graff, author of "What Is Marriage For?" put it a bit more gently, "God bless 'em, they're allowed to be foolish while lesbian and gay couples who are committed aren't taken seriously."

I don't think we should judge straight marriage by the lowest common denominator of a Vegas quickie. But in the wake of the gay marriage decision in Massachusetts, President Bush spoke for the opposition, declaring that "marriage is a sacred institution between a man and a woman."


Click here.

Who would have thought that the stupid skank would actually do something useful? I've thought for a long time, myself, that the "sacred institution" of marriage is threatened much less by gay people than by divorce. To be honest, I'm still not quite sure how gay matrimony threatens marriage as an institution--I think that Atrios over at Eschaton once joked that seeing married gay couples made him want to cheat on his wife; if that doesn't make the absurdity of the whole "threat" argument clear, I don't know what will.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$