Saturday, April 24, 2004

ATRIOS ON RELIGION AND POLITICS

The uber-blogger speaks out on the two topics that shouldn't be mentioned in polite company:

Give me a call when the President of the United States says about Christians what one said about atheists:

"No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots."

No one finds it particularly troubling when it's pointed out that an "out" atheist couldn't get elected dog catcher in most of this country, let alone to Congress. I'm actually not complaining really - I'm not trying to establish some sort of new victim group here. But, nonetheless, I'm a bit sick and tired of White Christian Males pretending that they're the persecuted ones.

In addition, I'm a bit fed up with people hand-wringing about anti-religious sentiment from "the Left." First of all, "the Left" which has any clout or power in this country is explicitly "pro-religion" to a degree which disturbs me. My retinas still burn with the image of the members of Congress on the steps of the Capitol screeching out "UNDER GOD" while performing the pledge of allegiance.


The anti-atheist quote comes from George H. W. Bush, 41st President of the United States, which is a bit weird considering that his son, our current Leader, is the born-again fundamentalist. I bet that the chimp would like to outdo his father on this somehow. Burn atheists at the stake or something.

Anyway, Atrios uses the comment as stimulus for a nice little rant. Check it out.

Click here.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$