Saturday, June 26, 2004

TWO FROM ZNET

First, an essay on the Bush administration's word-game response to the recent 9/11 Commission conclusion that there was no collaborative connection between Iraq and al-Qaeda:

The Lexicographers

Ever since the September 11 commission stated authoritatively what everyone knew already, namely that there is no evidence that Al Qaeda was in business with Saddam Hussein, a debate of a most peculiar character has unfolded.

Almost no facts -- and none of importance -- are under dispute. No one now claims that Iraq had anything to do with September 11, or any other attack on the United States, or even that Saddam's regime had any joint undertaking whatsoever with Al Qaeda. Rather, the debate revolves around the definition of words. The highest officials of the executive branch of the government, as if re-baptizing it as an academic department of a university, have turned themselves into so many linguists. What is a "tie," a "relationship," a "link," a "contact," "cooperation"? On questions like these, the White House abounds in opinions.


Click here for the rest.

Next, an essay on the Wal-Mart wars:

Taking on Wal-Mart

"MY NAME is Rosetta Brown, and I’ve been an employee for the Wal-Mart company for six years. As an employee, I have seen first hand that Wal-Mart associates are often placed under harmful working conditions--everything from racial discrimination, to intimidation by management, to misinformation, to violations of workers’ rights and the law.

I was injured on the job October 6, 1999, while locked in the store overnight doing inventory. Currently, I live with the pain and suffering of a herniated disk in my neck that happened that night. The actions of Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club have delayed my workers’ compensation. As a result, I have accumulated tens of thousands of dollars in debt from medical bills, lost my apartment and depended on public aid.

My credit is ruined, and I live in pain every day. My doctor has recommended surgery in the future to alleviate my suffering, but because Wal-Mart continues to deny my claim, I can’t afford to pay for it. My greatest pain is that all of this could have been prevented from the beginning if they had only done what was right."


Indeed, Wal-Mart sucks.

Click here for the rest.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$