Wednesday, October 20, 2004

JOHN STEWART IN THE CROSSFIRE

Like my buddy Matt told me when he sent me some links about this: unbelievable. From the AP via the Houston Chronicle:

Tucker Carlson and Jon Stewart still steaming after 'Crossfire'

Carlson on Monday fanned embers still hot from their Crossfire confrontation, saying Stewart looked ridiculous during his CNN appearance and was a sellout for publicly backing Democrat John Kerry for president.

Stewart, on the show Friday, angered Carlson by saying Crossfire is "partisan hackery" that does little to advance democracy. And that was the mild stuff.

"You have a responsibility to the public discourse, and you fail miserably," Stewart said.

Responded Carlson: "You need to get a job at a journalism school, I think."

"You need to go to one," Stewart shot back.

Click here for the rest of the article.

Here's what I told Matt when I replied to his email:

Wow. This is pretty damned incredible. I've never really been into Stewart even though numerous friends over the years have told me that I should be. Maybe I'll pay attention now. What's really amazing is the point that Stewart kept hinting at over and over: why must essential political truths come from comedians? It's like the role of the fool in Shakespearean tragedies; the jester is never taken seriously, so only he can verbalize the obvious without being beaten.

Then there's Bill Maher.

For a transcript of Stewart's appearance on Crossfire, click here. For streaming video of the event in all it's humorous glory, click here.

Thanks to my Buddy Matt for the transcript and video links.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$