Monday, December 27, 2004

The Star Wars Holiday Special

This is not a joke. There really was a goofy, 70s style, live action, variety-narrative Star Wars Christmas show featuring the film's original cast that aired a quarter of a century ago. From I'm Just Sayin' courtesy of Eschaton:

I was "fortunate" enough to receive a bootleg DVD copy of this special as an early Christmas gift. The reason it's a bootleg and a "Holy Grail" of sorts is because Lucas has forbid this special to ever officially see the light of day again. After watching it, I can see why: I have never screamed "Make It Stop! Make It Stop! Make It Stop!" more in my life.

Click here for more explanation and a link to a collection of video highlights.

My old pal Shane, who sometimes comments here at Real Art, years ago gave me a blurry fourth or fifth generation VHS copy of the Star Wars Holiday Special, so I know it well. Actually, I saw the thing on television when it was originally broadcast when I was in the fifth grade. Despite it's ultra-badness, or perhaps because of it, I have a great deal of affection in my heart for this atrocity. You really ought to go watch the highlight reel, if only for a couple of laughs.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$