Sunday, March 20, 2005

TWO YEARS LATER
Baghdad Under Siege

From the Nation:

Once out of the parking lot, Bassim weaves through a local market, expertly dodging pedestrians and livestock at high speed as we gradually pull away from the car behind us. When we get on the open highway he punches the accelerator up to 100 mph and we lose sight of the other car. Insurgents or would-be kidnappers? I'm relieved I don't have the chance to find out.

Two things became clear as the negotiations to form a government dragged on: American pacification efforts have stalled, and the euphoria accompanying the January 30 elections is beginning to evaporate. "The insurgents are increasing, and the reason is that the new government has not met yet--it encourages them to go on with their attacks," said Said Rashid, a political science professor at Baghdad University, just before the March 16 opening of Parliament. Baghdadis have grown resigned to life under the state of emergency that was declared in November. Spokesmen at the oil and electricity ministries say attacks on their employees and infrastructure averaged at least one a day last year and will rise this year.

"The war is getting worse," says a furniture dealer who spent years in exile in London but returned to help pull down the statue of Saddam in central Baghdad's Firdos Square on April 9, 2003, a shot broadcast around the world. "I thought after the war it would be OK to open a business here. Now I can't even negotiate with my customers -- I'm afraid that if I say no, they might kidnap or kill me. I was optimistic before, but now I think I will return to Britain."


Click here for the rest.

It's a total failure. Saddam's torture chambers have been replaced by American torture chambers. We've lost 1,500 soldiers; the Iraqis have lost tens of thousands. The insurgency grows ever stronger. Total failure. We really ought to leave right now, but we're not: both the Republicans and the Democrats are committed to "staying the course." We'll be there for a decade, at least. Probably longer. It's disgusting, America's shame.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$