Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Jim Aparo, R.I.P.

From News From Me courtesy of This is not a compliment:

Comic book artist Jim Aparo has died at the age of 72 following a recent illness. Despite a bit of training at the Hartford Art School, Aparo considered himself a self-taught illustrator. A lifelong fan of comics, he always wanted to work in the business but his samples did not arouse any interest until around 1966 when Dick Giordano, who was then an editor at Charlton, decided to give him a try...on a teen strip called "Miss Bikini Luv." That, and subsequent assignments for Charlton's war, western and ghost comics worked out so well that, despite Charlton's niggardly pay rates, Aparo was able to quit his day job at a Hartford advertising agency and realize his dream as a full-time comic book artist.

Click here for the rest.

Aparo was my favorite Batman artist, if not my all time favorite comics artist. I've known his distinctive style for as long as I can remember--indeed, many of my first experiences with DC heroes came from him. My childhood would have been much less rich without his wonderful work.

Here's how he drew the death of Robin back in the 80s:



Farewell, Jim. You helped give me my imagination.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$