Saturday, September 17, 2005

HARD TIMES AT THE HURRICANE PET SHELTER
Guest Blogger Becky on How She Got Four Cats Out

I’ve been staying in touch with Debbie since she left for California, and she called Thursday in a mild panic.

While registering their cats a couple of weeks ago at the animal hurricane shelter down in Gonzalez, which is midway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, her son befriended one of the volunteers, who promised to keep a special eye on their kitties. The volunteer, Jason, called them Wednesday evening with a scary warning: they had better get their cats out or they could be shipped out of state, or worse. The shelter is overflowing, and he feared they would never find their pets again.

After a series of back-and-forth conversations between me, Debbie, her daughter-in-law and Jason, I hit the road with cat carriers, required paperwork, bottled water, and details describing the kitties’ precise location. Jason works for Cat Haven locally, and has been volunteering at the hurricane shelter. His dire warning to me: “It’s a really bad situation.”

I tried to steel myself for what I was about to encounter.

I was greeted by a couple of National Guardsmen, who directed me around the compound. The shelter is set up at the Lamar Dixon Expo Center, which typically hosts livestock events. Behind the long horse arena one sees from the road are eight shed buildings. Each building is about 75’ wide by 150’ long, and contains at least 100 stalls, each suitable for a single cow.

The bad situation was immediately obvious: every shed was stuffed to the gills. Not full of 100 cows, but full of thousands of cats, and dogs, and other critters I didn’t see.

I had to walk through a dog shed to submit the initial paperwork. A handful of volunteers were busy washing cages. Mountains of carriers were stacked outside, having been replaced by slightly larger wire cages. More volunteers could be seen taking dogs for a walk, one at a time in the sweltering heat. Inside the heat was even more oppressive, despite the shade. Most dogs lay panting. A few were wagging their tails and panting. One pair was viciously growling at each other from cages that were only about one foot apart. Other dogs were out of their cages, being treated by courageous volunteer veterinarians.

Both man and beast were hot, tired, and much too crowded.

After running back and forth a few times, I finally obtained clearance to retrieve all four cats. The volunteer tracked down a doctor at the cat shed, who almost jumped up and down when she realized I was actually taking some cats home. Most visitors are still dropping pets off, or wandering from stall to stall, hoping to find their lost companions.

I lugged out the cages, and by the time I got there, one of “our” cats was being swabbed with ice: they were concerned about his panting. No surprise.

I started the car and set the air-conditioner on high. The doc helped me lumber out with the heavier carriers, and secure the cats in the back seat. Several began to wail immediately once we were in motion. I heard the sounds of barf. Great, just keep driving, it’s only about 20 miles. Then I smelled crap, and louder wailings. My stress level went up, and the windows went down. Even louder wails. I cried a little, wishing Ron wasn’t at school and could have come with me. I felt angry and everyone and everything. I tried desperately not to think about the past two hours and the reality of the shelter. Focus, don’t crash, get home safe.

We did. That was Thursday afternoon.

Five cats on the porch: Kali and Triangle, who were already here, along with Blacky, Jynx and Gaia. At least they already know each other, and are settling into their tiny territories. Blacky keeps escaping, but coming back. Four cats inside: Mambo, who won’t tolerate any other felines, is locked in our study while we try to find a new, permanent one-cat human for her. And the originals: Paz, Phil and Frankie, who are a bit cranky, but generally good-natured under the circumstances.

And now it’s time to scoop some litter.

(Becky knows good and well that I'm the litter box guy: that's one mess she's not having to deal with. Anyway, here are some cat pics to go with her essay. The first two we were already housing, the next four were the ones she picked up on Thursday.)

Kali




Triangle



Blacky



Jynx



Gaia



Mambo



$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$