Friday, September 16, 2005

TRIAGE FOR N.O.
LSU To The Rescue

From Sports Illustrated, courtesy of CoSIDA, courtesy of
BuzzFlash:

Blackhawk helicopters were carrying in victims who'd been stranded on roofs. Buses rolled in from New Orleans.... A lady fell out of her wheelchair and we scrambled to help her up.... A man from New Orleans was badly injured on his head. Five minutes later he was dead. Mothers were giving birth in the locker rooms.... A man was rolled in on a stretcher [suffering from] gunshots. A paramedic said a looter needed his boat and he wouldn't give it to him.... The auxiliary gym was being used as a morgue. I couldn't take myself down there to see it.

Click
here for the rest.

Of course, I've already mentioned my school's massive triage for New Orleans on several occasions. I even took some pictures of all the activity. Thing is, I never got to see all the drama taking place inside LSU's basketball arena. From what I've read in this article, I'm glad I didn't try to get in--I'm sure it would have depressed me more than I already was. Fortunately, it's all over now. As far as I can tell, they've pretty much shut down most of it. Earlier today, I saw a large pile of military issue stretchers and straps behind the PMAC waiting to be picked up; all the Humvees in the nearby parking lot are gone, as is the constant stream of helicopters. But while it was all going on, it was a huge testimony to the good that people can do when they have to. All is not lost for the human race.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$