Wednesday, December 21, 2005

FROM THE REAL ART SPORTS DESK
Lawyer says UT players won't be charged

From the AP via the Houston Chronicle:

An attorney for two Texas football players said he's been told by police the athletes will not be charged in an alleged downtown assault earlier this month.

Police questioned starting defensive back Cedric Griffin and running back Ramonce Taylor about the Dec. 10 incident, which happened after a team banquet.

Attorney Ken Oden said in a prepared statement that he was told Sunday by police that "no arrests will be made and no charges will be filed."

Oden's statement did not say who told him the investigation was finished and he did not immediately return a telephone message. Police spokeswoman Toni Chovonetz said Monday the investigation remains open and declined further comment.

Click here for the rest.

Okay, that's something of a relief. You may recall my post from a couple of days ago where I expressed worry that this investigation might distract the hell out of the Longhorns as they play for the national championship. Of course, if I recall correctly, four Longhorn football players were being investigated. Who are the other two? Are they starters as well? I think the team could fairly easily weather a couple of third stringers in trouble with the law, but if it's somebody like Vince Young, we're just fucked.

Really, I'm probably stressing over nothing. I ought to be writing about how the patriarchal and violent culture of football often carries over into the real world, and whatever incidents in which these players may or may not have been involved are likely some sort of function of that. But no. I'm too shallow and superficial. I want to win, so I'm busy finding things to worry about.

I hope I don't have a heart attack or something while watching the Rose Bowl. I'm going to be a nervous wreck, I'm sure.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$