Sunday, March 26, 2006

L.A. marchers voice support for immigrants

From the AP via the Houston Chronicle:

Joining what some are calling the largest mobilization of immigrants ever in the U.S., a crowd estimated by police at more than 500,000 boisterously marched here Saturday to protest federal legislation that would crack down on undocumented immigrants, penalize those who help them and build a security wall on the U.S. southern border.

Spirited marchers — non-affiliated immigrants alongside labor, religious, and civil-rights groups — stretched more than 20 blocks to City Hall.

It was believed to be the largest protest march in Los Angeles history, far surpassing the 70,000 who rallied downtown against Proposition 187, a 1994 state initiative that denied public benefits to undocumented migrants. Police said there were no arrests or injuries.

The demonstrators included both longtime residents and the newly arrived.


Click
here for the rest.

And there were large rallies around the country on Friday as well, with more to come if I understand correctly. These bills being considered are real stinkers, and I wholeheartedly support these protesters' opposition to them. I mean, what does it mean to criminalize the aiding of illegal immigrants? Will I be busted for giving someone directions or a band-aid? That's bullshit, of course, and if this crap becomes law, I have no intention of obeying. I'm not a cop, god forbid, and I will not lift a finger to report anyone I think is here illegally. I don't believe it's a crime to want to feed your family. On the other hand, I think there are some legitimate grievances about illegal immigration. I know that many illegals pay taxes, but because so many of them make such low wages, there probably is a strain on social services. I also believe that illegal immigrants put a downward pressure on wages--personally, I don't believe the old adage that they'll do the jobs nobody else will; plenty of citizens will do shit-work if it pays well enough. But then, I guess I'm really arguing for universal health care and a massive hike in the minimum wage. Maybe these grievances are misplaced; maybe they're actually about the brutalities of cut-throat capitalism, which affect all workers in the US, citizen and non-citizen alike. One thing's for sure, as long as the US economic and political elite continue to deal with the corrupt crony-capitalists in Mexico and other Latin American nations without pressuring heavily for reform, the flow of illegals north of the border will not end. Because that's where the problem really lies, not with poor souls who are simply trying to survive. The US has some responsibility here, and the problem won't be solved until it lives up to that responsibility.



$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$