Sunday, October 29, 2006

FROM THE REAL ART SPORTS DESK
TEXAS BEATS TECH, LSU GETS A BYE WEEK

From the AP via ESPN:

Every four years for the past 12, Texas had left Lubbock a loser.

It looked like that trend might continue Saturday night when Texas Tech jumped out to a three-touchdown lead in the first half.

But the No. 5 Longhorns overcame four turnovers and erased the big deficit to beat the Red Raiders 35-31.

"This team doesn't know how to quit," said Texas quarterback Colt McCoy, who threw for 256 yards and four touchdowns. "We just kept hanging in there. We are determined and we fight to the end."

The Longhorns (8-1, 5-0 Big 12) won their 20th straight conference game and 17th consecutive road game.


Click
here for the rest.

Man. Looks like I missed another nail-biter. I don't even know if this was on television, but it doesn't matter because I was in rehearsal all day long. It's probably just as well that I didn't watch. I'm pretty much always nervous about Texas Tech. They don't always show up for a game, but when they do, they're pretty great, which means there's always a chance they can beat the Longhorns, especially in Lubbock. Ordinarily, I would probably be worried that Texas didn't manhandle an unranked opponent, but, like I said, Tech has massive and weird potential--I suppose they're always fired up against Texas.

Anyway, after last week's comeback against Nebraska, and this massive comeback against Tech, I'd say that young Colt McCoy, who I've taken to calling "the Doctor," is the right guy for the QB job. And that's pretty important because Texas may get another shot at the national title: #3
USC lost today, and #2 Michigan has to play #1 Ohio State in a regular season Big Ten game on November 18th--obviously, only one of those two teams is going to walk away still ranked in the top five. If Texas can win out, which isn't a gimme, but is probable, they've got a very good shot at the #2 slot, which would put them right back in contention for defending their title.

I'd love to see the Doctor get a second chance to give a sedative filled hypo to Ohio State. Or Michigan. Whatever.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$