Friday, December 01, 2006

ENRON THE MUSICAL GETS MASSIVE PRESS PUSH

The show my buddy Stephen Foulard, who plays Ken Lay, is doing opened in Houston earlier this evening. I'm sure they did well, especially because I know from personal experience that Foulard is such a good actor. And they're received lots of pre-show kudos. Enron - The Musical is getting massive amounts of press attention at the national level lately, which is why it strikes me as weird that they're only running for three peformances. Maybe if they sell out and get good reviews, they'll extend the run. Maybe take it on the road or something. I mean, how could they not try to suck this thing for all it's worth? In the wake of Fox's coverage a couple of weeks ago, NBC's Today show ran a bit on it this morning, and then MSNBC ran it over and over again the rest of the day. They'd be fools not to take advantage of all this bigtime publicity.

On the other hand, I suppose an amusing musical is more "newsworthy" these days than the news about the rollback of post-Enron corporate legal reforms looming on the horizon, although my buddy Matt over at Caffeinated tells me this is probably not nearly so sinister as it sounds. Nonetheless, it strikes me that overall coverage of the actual continuing story of Enron has suffered a bit, replaced by this more viewer-friendly and uplifting story of pain turned to fun-art.

But what the hell! The news industry's loss is H-Town theater's gain! Congrats to Stephen and his fellow actors.


My pal Stephen on the Today show--he's going to be insufferable now!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$