Sunday, April 29, 2007

EDUCATION ESTABLISHMENT INSANITY
School sued over MySpace photo response


From the AP via the Houston Chronicle:

The photo, taken at a 2005 Halloween party, shows Snyder wearing a pirate hat while drinking from a plastic "Mr. Goodbar" cup. It was posted on her own MySpace site.

Although Snyder apologized, she learned the day before graduation that she would not be awarded an education degree or teaching certificate.

Jane S. Bray, dean of the School of Education, accused Snyder of promoting underage drinking, the suit states.


Click here for the rest.

What the fuck? My experience when I was being certified in Texas was that, while there is definitely some connection between university hosted teacher training programs and the public education system, there is enough distance between the two that this kind of monkey business is unthinkable. I mean, it wouldn't at all be surprising if she got hit like this once she was in the field; like I said yesterday, teachers are pretty heavily indoctrinated into the authoritarian culture of public schools, which means challengers are punished. But this thing took place with a certification program. Very disturbing. I wonder if the psychotic attitudes of the public education establishment are filtering up into its higher education counterpart. I hope not. I found my certification program at U of H Downtown to be fairly enlightening.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$