Wednesday, April 18, 2007

JIM CARREY SINGS THE BEATLES' "I AM THE WALRUS"

Okay, before you vomit, just hear me out. For his farewell album in 1998, acclaimed Beatles producer George Martin put together a CD of Fab Four covers featuring a mix of singers and non-singers called In My Life. That's how Carrey got involved. I have to say that I'm not at all the weird one's fan, but he does turn in some decent acting performances now and then when there's somebody around to calm him down a bit, and that's exactly what Martin managed to do--indeed, before he worked with the Beatles, Martin was successful producing novelty hits with, among others, Brit comedian Peter Sellers. Clearly, Martin knew exactly what he was doing when he signed Carrey up.

And it turned out to be a pretty good version of the classic "I Am the Walrus." Believe it or not, with Martin literally conducting Carrey's performance, the strange comic manages to capture the spirit of John Lennon's absurdist, Lewis Carroll inspired words. Obviously, Carrey has great reverence for the song, and gives it his best.

From Wikipedia (article linked above):

A performance of the song by actor and comedian Jim Carrey appears on George Martin's album In My Life. At the end of his version, he cries, "There, I did it! I've defiled a timeless piece of art! For my next trick I'll paint a clown face on the Mona Lisa using the Shroud of Turin as a drop cloth!"

Go check out the video on Youtube; it's well worth it. I promise.


Jim and George in the studio.

And just for fun, here's a live video of the Frank Zappa version.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$