Monday, April 16, 2007

Swine Palace to premiere Cocktail

Tech week(see post below) continues, and my blogging time is necessarily being squeezed, so as with last night, no chatty-chat from me. But I do present some more info on the show.

From the Baton Rouge Advocate:

International AIDS/HIV rights activist Krisana Kraisintu will speak at 2 p.m. Monday, April 30, in the Reilly Theatre at LSU, with a reception to follow in the lobby of the theater.

LSU Chancellor Sean O’Keefe will present the celebrated visitor with a medal in recognition of her successful work.

All three events are free and open to the public.

A play about Kraisintu’s life, Cocktail, co-authored by Vince LiCata, professor of biological sciences, and Ping Chong, world-famous playwright and performance artist, will have its world premiere at 7:30 p.m. Friday, April 20, at the Reilly Theatre. The production runs through May 6.

“This is a new play, a collaboration with LiCata. He’s a science playwright. He had been a student of mine at the University of Minnesota about 10 years ago. He contacted me to see if I was interested in a science play. I had never done anything like that, so I said yes, of course,” said Chong, who is in Baton Rouge for the production of his play by Swine Palace Productions.

“He (LiCata) put me in a lab coat and showed me how to make pills. I will do that on stage in the play Cocktail.”

Chong said the name of the play has nothing to do with margaritas or Southern Comfort.

“Cocktail means the pill regimen you take,” he explained.


More here.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$