Sunday, September 23, 2007

FROM THE REAL ART SPORTS DESK
Fake FG, crucial ground attack fuel LSU past S. Carolina


From the AP via ESPN:

The fake widened LSU's lead to 21-7 at halftime, deflating a South Carolina defense that had kept LSU within a touchdown on David's 42-yard miss a drive earlier.

Next time, the Tigers set up from 32 yards, but the holder, quarterback Matt Flynn, tossed a no-look flip over his shoulder to David, who ran for the score with ease.

"It was pretty close until then and that just put another dagger in them," David said. "It always works [in practice]. We felt confident with it. I've been playing soccer all my life, but I also can catch footballs."

LSU coach Les Miles said he only wanted to get a first down and took no special joy in using a trick play to beat Spurrier, a master of offensive trickery himself.

"We would have liked to have gotten the first down without having to use that play," Miles said. "It was there and it was certainly executed well."

Jacob Hester's power and Trindon Holliday's speed were key for LSU on the ground and its dominant defense did the rest with two interceptions and a pair of stops on fourth-and-short yardage situations. The Tigers' hard-hitting defense unsettled Spurrier to the point he switched quarterbacks several times.


Click here for the rest.

So, the fake field goal was neat, but it was really all about LSU's brutal rushing attack. I mean, don't get me wrong. Anything to piss off Steve Spurrier is fine by me--I've hated that NFL reject since I saw his sideline asshole antics during a national championship loss to Nebraska when he was at Florida at some point during the 90s. But the overall game was was essentially LSU running past flaccid Gamecocks again and again.

You know, I've been staying away from those sports radio guys here in Louisiana who drive me nuts, but I can't help but wonder if today's performance finally shut up their bogus criticisms of Tiger coach Les Miles. "He's got to throw on first down more often; this ain't the Big 12," I've heard them drool. Fuck 'em. If you don't have a great running game, passing is a joke.

Anyway, we're moving into the SEC now, and despite LSU's obvious greatness, each of these games is going to be tough. I bet they get the championship, though.

And then, onto New Orleans!


LSU coach Les Miles, slated to be played by Kurt Russell in the movie. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)(via ESPN)

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$