Monday, June 06, 2011

WHADAYA KNOW? BREITBART GOT ONE RIGHT

From Talking Points Memo:

Weiner Admits He Tweeted Lewd Photos, Will Not Resign

"Last Friday night i tweeted a photograph of myself that I intended to send as a direct message as part of a joke to a woman in Seattle," he said, fighting back tears. "Once I realized I had posted to Twitter, I panicked, I took it down and said I had been hacked. I then continued to stick to that story which was a hugely regrettable mistake."

He added: "To be clear, the picture was of me and I sent this. I am deeply sorry for the pain this has caused my wife Huma and our family and my constituents, friends, supporters and staff."

As for his own future, Weiner pledged to remain in Congress, saying he had not broken any law to his knowledge. "I am not resigning," Weiner said, telling reporters he would try to convince his constituents this was a "personal failing" and did not alter his record.


More here.

So the other day I blasted Andrew Breitbart, who usually not only gets these things wrong, but straight up lies about them, for taking up the Weiner scandal as his latest cause célèbre. Turns out that, in this single instance, Breitbart got it right. Of course, as they say, a broken clock tells the correct time twice a day. So big deal. Breitbart's still a lying scumbag. Just not about Weiner showing his weiner on the internets.

Beyond that, it is depressing that this relatively minor event has been dominating the news cycle for the last week or so. I mean, Weiner now looks like a lame douche, but that's just about the entire significance of it. After all, it's not like he's one of those "family values" guys, so there's no hypocrisy here--I mean, there's lying, to be sure, but I take him at his word that he got sort of freaked out about it. There doesn't appear to be any sexual harassment. No laws broken. No prostitutes. Not even any adultery, as if that matters in terms of his job. Maybe his wife is pissed at him, but that's between him and her. And maybe his constituents, who, if they decided to vote him out of office on this one issue, would be fools.

In the end this is all diversionary. We continue to be at war in three separate nations. We continue to hover at around ten percent unemployment. The rich continue to get richer, riding on the teat of social welfare funded tax breaks, while everybody else continues to get poorer. Global warming continues to fry the planet making prospects for the continuance of civilization all the more dim. And all the media can talk about is Weiner's weiner.

As Atrios said over at Eschaton, "Finally a happy press corps." They really do love to munch on human feces.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$