Thursday, July 26, 2012

Greenland Ice Melt Reaches Unprecedented Level

From the Huffington Post:

According to a NASA press release, about half of Greenland's surface ice sheet naturally melts during an average summer. But the data from three independent satellites this July, analyzed by NASA and university scientists, showed that in less than a week, the amount of thawed ice sheet surface skyrocketed from 40 percent to 97 percent.

In over 30 years of observations, satellites have never measured this amount of melting, which reaches nearly all of Greenland's surface ice cover.


More here.

Obviously, this is far beyond any sort of look-out-the-window conservative calculation about global warming. That is, this is unprecedented in the modern era. Actually, as far as I know, Greenland hasn't been this green since it was discovered by Vikings in the Dark Ages. You know, over a thousand years ago. This is fucked up, very fucked up. It means climate change is happening right now, not in the proverbial not-so-distant-future.

I must admit that I continue to have difficulty getting my arms around this, at least, on an emotional level, but I get it intellectually: the very nature of reality on Earth is rapidly changing in unanticipated ways for which the human race is totally unprepared; people are already dying because of this, and it is highly likely that many, many more are soon to follow. I'd be freaking out if I could accept it in my heart of hearts, and maybe it's a good thing I'm not, but at least I know what's going on.

What I want to know is why events like the rapid melting of Greenland's glaciers don't freak out conservatives. How can they be okay with this? And how can they be so certain that fossil fuels play no role? I mean, I understand the whole herd mentality denial thing, but this isn't simply a hardcore hurricane we're talking about; it's motherfucking weird.

I think it's finally safe to say that the conservatives, like Krypton's Science Council, have doomed us all.














$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$