Thursday, October 25, 2012

FROM THE REAL ART SPORTS DESK
IS THIS WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE LONGHORNS?

From the AP via the Houston Chronicle:

Brown: 'I didn't ask' for Longhorn Network

Texas coach Mack Brown once welcomed the Longhorn Network. Now he sounds as though it's become a headache and a window for opposing coaches to get an unfair peek into his program.
 
"I didn't ask for it," Brown said Monday, noting he's worried that the six hours a week he spends taping three television shows and the network's access to the first 30 minutes of daily practice may tip opposing coaches to player injuries, tendencies and schemes.

More here.

Something just hasn't been right these last couple of seasons with Texas.

Sure, I can accept a rebuilding year after we lost the national championship to Alabama.  But we're now on the third season since that disappointing loss, and the Longhorns continue to stumble blindly in the darkness.  Okay, we've only got two losses, but not being able to shut down WVU's high flying offense the way Kansas State did last weekend is a scathing indictment of what was supposed to be a great defense.  And I don't even want to talk about the drubbing we took from OU.  And our wins...well, beating Ole Miss was nice, but how on earth did we allow Baylor to score fifty points on us?  Can't blame it on RGIII.

What the fuck is going on?  Maybe this Longhorn Network is too much of a distraction; maybe it really does give opponents too much of an inside look at what Texas is going to be doing against them the following Saturday.  I don't know.  But something's up.

Indeed, that is very likely why my football reporting has dropped off this year here at Real Art.  I'm just not into it.  Okay, I continue to watch when I can, and love it.  But I'm also bummed with LSU this year, too, which isn't terribly fair because they've only got one loss so far, to a now top three Florida team.  But still.  When I started my Real Art Sports Desk posts, LSU was just off it's 2003 National Championship season, and Texas was headed toward its 2005 National Championship season, and everybody's expectations continued to be high, for both teams.  Until Alabama beat them both.

Fucking Alabama.  I hate Alabama.  Hate them.  And I hate Nick Saban, too.  Almost as much as I hate Bob Stoops.  That's a lot of hate.  Hate that doesn't abate when we don't fucking beat them.  But I digress.

The point is that I'm probably not going to be doing as many of these posts this year as I have in the past.  It's hard to write about your teams failing to live up to your expectations.  Don't get me wrong, though.  I'm still a big fan for both teams, and am now talking shit on facebook on game days.  And maybe I'll get inspired or something.  Who knows?  But yeah, my heart just isn't into blogging about it at the moment.

Okay, watching LSU go to Kyle Field and beat the Aggies was pretty nice.  I have to admit that.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$