Saturday, January 19, 2013

"Going Clear": Scientology Exposed

A book review from Salon via AlterNet:

It turns out that even the craziest stuff I read on the Internet back in 2005 is essentially true, and that the history of the church under its current megalomaniacal leader, David Miscavige, is, if anything, even more disgraceful. (Hubbard died in 1986.) Wright has assembled an overwhelming number of confirmed reports of Miscavige punching, kicking and otherwise attacking church leaders, often without warning or explanation. He details a well-developed system of isolation and indoctrination imposed on the members of Sea Org. (Scientology’s equivalent of a clergy), creating a population that provides the church with virtually free labor and submits to extravagantly harsh and humiliating punishments, such as cleaning bathroom floors with their tongues and scrubbing out dumpsters with toothbrushes. Meanwhile, Miscavige lives in luxury, bathed in Kim Jong Il-levels of totalitarian hagiography, at the church’s secluded base in rural Southern California.

More here.

Generally, my personal rule for religions in which I do not believe is respect.  Respect because religion is culture.  Because it is identity.  Because it is an attempt, however misguided, to understand the universe and humanity.  I can criticize and reject, but I must respect.

I do not follow this rule for Scientology.  Indeed, I have nothing but deep seated contempt for Scientology.  Sure, it's culture and identity, but it is NOT a good faith attempt to understand the universe and humanity.  Rather, Scientology is a sophisticated confidence game aimed at controlling human beings and stealing from them their money and dignity.  There is nothing good that comes from it.  Nothing.  Scientology is evil.

I have my issues with Christianity, just as I have issues with Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, and other religions.  But among the things I don't like about those religions are also some truly beautiful notions.  Love is the deciding factor.  As the Bible says, "he who knows not love knows not God."  Most legitimate religions celebrate love in some way, shape, or form.  But not Scientology.  Scientology is totally selfish, totally vindictive.  There is no love in Scientology.  No charity.  No affirmation of the basic dignity of humanity.  It might as well be Satanism.

I cannot respect Scientology.  I can only condemn it.  It represents the opposite of all values I hold dear.  It is a blight on mankind.  If you have taken up with these people, I cannot give you my support.  The only thing I can say to you is, "Get out now, while you still can; you're being trained to support evil."  And I don't care at all if this offends you or hurts your feelings.  You're dealing with the Devil, and you need to stop it right now.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$