Wednesday, April 10, 2013

THE BLUE ALBUM

From Wikipedia:

1967–1970 (widely known as "The Blue Album") is a compilation of songs by the English rock band The Beatles, spanning the years indicated in the title. It was released with 1962–1966 ("The Red Album"), in 1973. 1967–1970 made number 1 on the American Billboard chart and number 2 on the British Album Chart. This album was re-released in September 1993 on compact disc, charting at number 4 in the United Kingdom.

The album was compiled by Beatles manager Allen Klein. Songs performed by the Beatles as solo artists were also considered for inclusion, but like the cover songs on 1962–1966, limited space resulted in this idea having to be abandoned.

As with 1962–1966, this compilation was produced by Apple/EMI at least partially in response to a bootleg collection titled Alpha Omega, which had been sold on television the previous year. Print advertising for the two records made a point of declaring them "the only authorized collection of the Beatles."

More here.

My brother had this album in the mid 70s when I was a kid.  He had several Beatles albums, actually, but this is the one to which I got the most exposure.  Consequently, the songs on this record, in this order, constitute my Beatles Ur-text.  A few years later, I got my own copy of its companion album 1962-1966, "The Red Album," which I greatly enjoyed, but my mental template for what the Beatles were was established by 1967-1970.  In short, this collection of songs is, for me, as Beatles as you can get.  The ultimate Beatles.  What it's all about.  I mean, you know, it's just a greatest hits or best of package.  But, oh, what a package it is!

I listened to it earlier for the first time in a couple of decades, and it's very nice to note that it continues to hold up well.  My Beatles template.  It's like going back to the Bible after years of avoiding it.

Here, check it out:


 
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$