Monday, December 16, 2013

WHAT I DID ON MY THEATER HIATUS

From the Houston Press:

Second Week of Museum of Dysfunction VI Features 
Comedy, Romance and a Handshake That Never Ends

"Carpe Diem" is Latin for "Seize the Day", which could be the motif of Mildred's Umbrella Theatre Company, as it produces 20 short plays, each one to appear for just three evenings. These have been selected from more than 200 submissions, and divided into two separate evenings of ten plays each; the second set is now playing. The Wordsmyth Theatre Company assisted in the production. 

And

The most sophisticated play is Epiphany by David MacGregor, as Ronald Reeder and Jennifer Decker portray a comfortably married couple, urbane and at ease - l'm sure they do the NY Times crossword puzzle in ink. The actors self-directed, and created an interesting vignette of a mid-life non-crisis, with a witty, revelatory twist at the end. 

More here.

So, while it's a positive review, that is, one that said good things about me and the show overall, it's actually kind of a lousy review, in that it's yet another guy who doesn't really seem to know what a theater critic is supposed to do.  Or what makes theater good or bad, for that matter.  I do miss living in Austin, reading their alt tabloid weekly, the Austin Chronicle, which generally always did a nice job of hiring people with theater degrees to do their stuff.

Aaahh, I should stop my bitching--lame critics are apparently always going to be around.  Jennifer and I got some VERY good notice on this, and the scene was, in fact, really good, even if I do say so myself.  So, just like that, I'm on stage again, after four years, and doing well.  It's good to be back in the saddle.  And there's definitely more to come when I move to Houston next month.

I'm excited for the first time in a long while.  Actually, a lot of it has to do with Jennifer.



















Photo by Gentle Bear Photography
Ronald Reeder and Jennifer Decker as an urbane mid-life couple in 

Museum of Dysfunction VI from Mildred's Umbrella Theatre Company

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$