Tuesday, January 06, 2015

First planned Republican Obamacare vote: Taking insurance away from 1.5 million workers

From Daily Kos:

The Republican Obamacare repeal assault will begin this week, when both chambers are expected to vote to exploit workers and take employer-sponsored insurance away from as many as 1.5 million people. What Republicans say they are doing is restoring full-time work, what they're really doing is giving incentive to employers to make people work an almost 40-week without health insurance benefits. The employer mandate in Obamacare kicks in this year. It requires companies that have 50 or more employees either provide insurance to 95 percent of their full-time employees or pay a fine, and defines full-time work as 30 hours per week. Republicans want to change that definition to 40 hours.


More here.

I'm not sure if this bill would affect me personally or not; at the moment, the corporate chain restaurant for which I work has me going to the government exchange for my health insurance, which leaves my hours unaltered.  But the employer mandate does, indeed, kick in soon, and my employer has not yet announced how it will be reacting.  Fortunately, this latest GOP attack is not likely to make it past Obama's veto pen, so I probably won't get the chance to find out.

But the real deal on this is that what the Republicans REALLY want is to just end Obamacare completely.  This newest legislative swipe is just part of what appears to be a death-by-a-thousand-cuts approach. 


Now, I'm no big fan of Obamacare, myself.  It's a horrid plan that allows medical industry blood suckers to feast and feast and feast on both tax dollars and a captive customer base with relatively little governmental oversight.  It almost totally sucks.  But it has gotten me and millions of others such as myself access to health care.  So there's that.  And given that health care is a basic human need, I'll take it, warts, skinny legs, and all.

Here's what I want to know.  Why do conservatives think I shouldn't have access to health care?  Why do conservatives think I should go deeply into debt the moment I have a health crisis?  Why must I die of a preventable disease simply because I get my hands dirty for a living?

If the answer is along the lines of "market, yadda yadda, get a better job, yadda, capitalism is great, yadda," then I have only one response: fuck you, conservatives, you hate me, so I hate you.  You want me to die in the street.  So just go to hell.  You are a blight on this country, and we will not be a great nation until every last one of you is gone.

I mean, maybe there's another answer to why I should die in the street, one I'm not considering, a good answer perhaps.  But I seriously doubt it.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$