Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Texas is not among the most Republican states as demographics shift

From the Houston Chronicle:

The 10 most Republican states all hold advantages over the Democratic Party by more than 10 percent. But Texas is not among these “solid Republican” states nor the “leaning Republican” states (states where the party gap is between 5 and 10 percent). Instead Texas is among the 18 competitive states, with Republicans holding a 3.9 percent advantage over Democrats.

That small percent still means a more than 1 million voter-advantage for Texas’ Republicans. Still, with the state’s changing demographics, analysts expect that gap to dwindle even further. However it could be at least a decade before Texas realistically has a shot of becoming a purple state.

More here.

See, this is what I've been thinking since I compared the 2008 numbers for Obama in Texas and Louisiana. The President lost both states, of course, but got some forty five percent in the Lone Star State versus only about thirty five in the state next door. Say what you want about Texas being conservative, but forty five percent is FAR from shabby, totally rebutting the notion that being a Texan also means being a right-winger.

So, okay, sure, the GOP runs everything here, but I just don't see it lasting. There's also this "demographic destiny" thing, the inevitable but slow rise of Hispanics here, meaning, as the article observes, that one day, perhaps in a decade, my home state will become a swing state! Really, I'm totally stoked about this, and it will probably keep me living until my late fifties, just so I can see us all emerge from our stifling cocoon.

I really can't wait. We will no longer have to lower our heads in shame. Actually, we don't even have to do that now. Non-conservatives here have some VERY respectable numbers right now.

God, I love Texas!


$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$