Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Bloomberg Politics National Poll Finds Deep Partisan Split on Israel and Iran

From Bloomberg courtesy of Hullabaloo:

Israel has become a deeply partisan issue for ordinary Americans as well as for politicians in Washington, a shift that may represent a watershed moment in foreign policy and carry implications for domestic politics after decades of general bipartisan consensus.

Republicans by a ratio of more than 2-to-1 say the U.S. should support Israel even when its stances diverge with American interests, a new Bloomberg Politics poll finds. Democrats, by roughly the same ratio, say the opposite is true and that the U.S. must pursue its own interests over Israel's.


More here.

Having once been a conservative, myself, I usually understand why conservatives take the positions they do. I mean, I disagree, but I understand. But this. This is something I don't understand at all.

How is it possible that some sixty six percent of Republicans believe the US should support Israel OVER OUR OWN INTERESTS?!? I mean, leaving aside the entirely problematic question of what actually constitutes our national interests, this, in the abstract, is deeply disturbing.

You know, I like Israel, too. I believe in Israel. I believe in our longstanding alliance with them. I admire Israel. I definitely think that we should support Israel. But, in the end, whether you like it or not, Israel is another country. It's not the fifty first state. It's not America. Their interests often overlap our interests. But not always.

And when their interests are not the same as our interests, it's a no-brainer. Americans should support America.

But that's not what Republicans think. They think that when there is a difference in interests, Israel should take priority. I don't know what to call that, but it's certainly not patriotism.

The Republicans for many years have been coasting on a reputation for foreign policy expertise. Even after the neocon takeover of the party during the Bush era, and the numerous foreign policy disasters that came with it, the GOP continues to be considered the "grownups" when it comes to dealing with other nations. I think this poll might very well have destroyed that undeserved reputation they've had for foreign policy. That is, if you're serious about how this nation conducts diplomacy, do not, under any circumstances, vote Republican. They value the interests of other nations over our own.

They cannot be trusted.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$