Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Norwegians Are Literally Using 'Texas' As Slang for 'Crazy' Now

From AlterNet:

A Norwegian explained what "texas" meant to him in a Reddit discussion earlier this year, writing: “When I think of the word I picture a cowboy crashing a party and shooting two revolvers into the air. ‘It’s completely texas!"

So entrenched is this idiom in Norway that a restaurant called Dolly Dimple's uses "helt texas" to characterize its pizza deals.


More here.

Living here as I do, it's easy to forget just how messed up the majority is in Texas. I mean, yeah sure, I know the kind of psychopath inhabiting my home state, but it's just like the air I breathe, all around me, totally normal. But it's not normal. It's malevolently weird. Hyperpatriotism irrationally coupled with pop secessionism, military fetish-worship, deep reverence for the death penalty, bloodthirsty embrace of absolute gun rights, scorn and derision for the poor, racism and sexism run amok, self-righteous stupid fundamentalism, and on and on. Texas is crazy, or, at least, more than half of it is. Just because I'm almost numb to it, though, doesn't make the sinister absurdity of it all go away. It's obvious to everyone who isn't a Texan.

That's why the Norwegians are now using the word "Texas" as an adjective to describe dangerously crazed situations. You know, something along the lines of "That reckless truck driver who just ran over a dog is totally Texas!" I'd be embarrassed, but I kind of think they're onto something.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$