Thursday, July 10, 2003

GREG PALAST'S NEW WEBLOG

You may recall my oooing and aaahing about Greg Palast when, back in May, I made my post about Bush's theft of the presidential election in Florida. Well, the uber-reporter has now decided to enter the so-called blogosphere:

It’s getting mighty expensive replacing every television I throw through the window when Mr. O’Reilly appears. And ripping up the New York Times leaves me without the news I need to pick up after Pluto, my retriever. There’s only one thing to do: write the darn news myself. I am, I’ve heard, a journalist – but it’s only a rumor in the USA where my reports for BBC Television and the Guardian papers are stopped by the electronic Berlin Wall. So this missive today inaugurates Greg Palast’s Radio Free America, a web log of samizdat rants, raves and most important, hard-core must-know facts from my investigative stories appearing abroad. Three times a week at www.gregpalast.com you’ll find the news not in your news.

This ought to be pretty cool. The more I hear about Palast, the more I like him--in fact, I found out recently that Palast managed to infiltrate evil neo-liberal economist Milton Friedman's "Chicago Boys" as an undercover investigator for labor unions in the early 1970s--Palast was an eyewitness to the genesis of all the hell that our country is going through today! (For some more info on neo-liberalism and Milton Friedman, click here, then scroll down past the italics.)

Personally, I am looking forward to the thrice weekly wisdom of one of the world's sanest men. His first post is promising; here's a sample:

President Top Gun: Affirmatively Missing in Action

Here’s what you won’t see on US TV: Years back I got my hands on a copy of a document languishing in Justice Department files in Austin, Texas. In it, a tipster fingers two political friends of Bush Senior who, the source claimed, made the call to get young Bush out of the war and into the cockpit at the Air Guard. But the Feds could not act without corroboration. Now we have it. To the BBC crew, one of those named confessed to making the call – at Bush Senior’s request – to help George W dodge the draft. (I’ve posted the letter at http://www.gregpalast.com/ulf/documents/draftdodgeblanked.jpg).

Look, I don’t care if President Bush cowered and ran from Vietnam. I sure as hell didn’t volunteer … but then, my daddy didn’t send someone else in my place. And I don’t march around with parachute clips around my gonads talking about war and sacrifice.


For the entire post, click here.

What I really like about Palast is that he asks the tough questions that the American news media is afraid to ask, and he backs up his seemingly wild claims with hard evidence. Palast, an American reporter in exile, puts all other US reporters to shame. You should check his site frequently for updates.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$