Tuesday, July 15, 2003

O'REILLY NOW BELIEVES IT WAS ABOUT OIL
I don't believe my ears...


It's amazing how propaganda is shouted loudly and repeatedly, while the truth is sometimes casually mentioned only once or twice, without fanfare. Earlier this evening on Fox's O'Reilly blowhard show, I witnessed an exchange that amazed me.

The big butthole's guest was a former CIA case officer turned author named James Baer. Baer wrote an interesting article that I read in May's Atlantic Monthly about how the decades old US devotion to the oil controlled by the very corrupt Saudi regime has resulted in a rather schizophrenic foreign policy in the Middle East (the Atlantic website hasn't posted the article, but they do have this neat interview); of course, I'm very interested in Baer's views because they, by and large, validate my own views on the subject.

Here's the amazing part.

Both Baer and O'Reilly dismissed the importance of the enriched uranium scandal currently blazing in Washington. That's not so surprising. What was surprising is that both of them then agreed that the real reason that the US needed to invade Iraq was because, as Baer said, Hussein is "crazy" and stood in the way of the need for America to get out of Saudi Arabia due to the rise of Islamic extremists in that nation. O'Reilly then went on to say that because of the oil flow in the Persian Gulf region, there needs to be an "American presence there." Therefore, we needed to invade Iraq.

Huh?!?

Silly me, I thought that the pro-war crowd was always saying that it wasn't about the oil, that it was about terrorism and weapons of mass destruction. In fact, O'Reilly was seemingly so damned certain that it was about WMDs that he offered to publicly apologize if none were found. Remember that?

Amazing hypocricy. I usually can't stomach O'Reilly's show but sometimes one discovers astonishing things when diving into the sewage. As the sleazy publisher of Hustler Magazine, Larry Flynt, said in response to being called a "bottom feeder" by deposed House Speaker Bob Livingston, "Yeah, but look what I found on the bottom." That's a pretty nifty coincidence: whenever I think of O'Reilly, I always think of bottoms. That is to say, buttholes.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$