Monday, July 19, 2004

 'Bloggers' allowed to cover party conventions
 
From the AP via the Houston Chronicle:
 
More than 30 independent Web journalists have been accredited to cover the Democratic convention, and the Republicans said they'll also credential so-called bloggers.
 
It's the first time bloggers will be joining the thousands of newspaper, magazine and broadcast journalists at the quadrennial presidential nomination events.
 
Click here for the rest.
 
Cool.  When do I get my invitation?
 
Actually, this is, indeed, pretty cool.  Bloggers, biased as they are, have become an extremely important, albeit imperfect, stop-gap solution to the ongoing utter failure of the mainstream media.  The corporate news will, no doubt, continue to cover the conventions as fluff-piece, horse race journalism.  Bloggers will cover policy, which the mainstream news used to do when I was a kid.  I think Tom Tomorrow of This Modern World is going, but then he's been covering the conventions for his comic strip for some years now.  I think that Atrios of Eschaton is going, too.  I can't wait: this'll be some good stuff.
 
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$