Saturday, September 18, 2004

MURDEROUS, HOMOPHOBIC, RELIGIOUS HATE SPEECH
Televangelist Jimmy Swaggart Goes Stark Raving Bonkers

Via Eschaton, an excerpt from Swaggart's disturbing sermon:

I'm trying to find the correct name for it ... this utter absolute, asinine, idiotic stupidity of men marrying men. ... I've never seen a man in my life I wanted to marry. And I'm gonna be blunt and plain; if one ever looks at me like that, I'm gonna kill him and tell God he died.

Man, there's some Christian love and forgiveness for you. As I've pointed out before, this has nothing to do with Christianity, really: homosexuality is one of numerous sins described in the Bible; the special attention paid to this one sin by fundamentalists indicates a weird obsession with homosexuality that goes way beyond any sense of morality or spirituality. Of course, I don't take the Bible as the word of God, myself, but that's not the point. I've heard many Christians tell me over the years that that a proper, Godly response to the "sin" of homosexuality is to "hate the sin but love the sinner." Clearly, killing homosexuals runs counter to that thought. Glorifying the murder of anyone is totally outside of what any reasonable believer would call Christian behavior.

And when you factor in the fact that Swaggart is still something of a spiritual leader on the national stage, this gets much worse. Jerry Lee Lewis' cousin probably would never actually kill anybody himself, but he's just given permission to do so to anyone who takes him seriously. This kind of rhetoric is dangerous.

Click here to see some video of Swaggart's sermon; the hate speech starts to fly around 36 minutes into it.

Again, thanks to Eschaton for the link.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$