Tuesday, November 15, 2005

TARGET MAY VERY WELL SUCK MORE THAN WAL MART

From
AMERICAblog courtesy of the Daily Kos:

As you may recall, Target is letting its pharmacists refuse to fill your order for emergency contracptive pills (Plan B, as it's called) simply because they find your prescription immoral. Target is now saying that they'll fill your prescription in a "timely manner" at another pharmacy, or at their pharmacy at a later time (presumably when their holier-than-thou employee is on break).

I don't know about you, but when I go to the pharmacist, I don't want him sending me to another Target 40 miles away simply because he has religious issues with my prescription. It's none of his business what prescription I'm getting filled, and short of there being a glaring mistake in my prescription a la "It's a Wonderful Life" - i.e., instead of allergy pills someone gave me cyanide - it's none of his damn business passing religious judgment on my prescriptions, my illnesses, my prefered form of treatment, or me.

I already have a priest, and he doesn't work at Target, thank you.

But Target feels otherwise. In fact, Target is now claiming - quite incredibly - that its employees' religious fanaticism is covered the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Yes, apparently Target employees are allowed to not sell you things based on THEIR religion. That's an absurd, and rather dangerous, legal statement from Target.


Click
here for the rest.

As the AMERICAblog post goes on to observe, the Civil Rights Act is much more about stopping stores from discriminating against consumers than it is about stopping consumers from discriminating against store employees. Obviously, this Target policy is nuts. Even though they're not as huge as Wal-Mart, and therefore unable to malevolently affect the economy in the same way, this is so extraordinarily outrageous that it may actually make Target suck worse than its more successful mega chain store competition. I mean, for god's sake, what this policy amounts to is allowing certain favored employees to discriminate against consumers who don't share their narrow understanding of Christianity. If you ask me, Target's policy is much more of a violation of the Civil Rights Act than a manifestation of it.

Man, sometimes I feel like the whole damned country's goin' nuts.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$