Thursday, December 15, 2005

QVC'S PEACE PENDANT

Yesterday, I mentioned how the only way we're ever going to get out of Iraq is if public attitudes shift decidedly in an anti-war direction. What we've got now, majority disapproval, isn't enough. It's got to be like I remember when I was a really young child with Vietnam: peace has got to be a pop culture phenomenon. I remember peace symbols being all over the place when I was three or four, back in '71 and '72--they were so commonplace, that they made an indelible impression on my young consciousness; I'll never forget it.

Later that evening, flipping channels around, I noticed something weird. QVC is hawking to its consumer-viewers a diamond peace pendant. This may be the kind of social signal I'm talking about; such a product would have been unthinkable in late 2001--those were the days of go go, kill kill, USA-USA-USA bangles, baubles, and beads. But not anymore. And the salespeople were so damned casual about it. They didn't say anything like "no blood for oil," but they were talking about how nice it would be to have a peace pendant to let everybody know that you support peace.

Things are getting weird. In a good way.



$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$