Tuesday, January 03, 2006

FROM THE REAL ART SPORTS DESK
PEACH BOWL BLOWOUT
LSU stomps Miami, 40-3

From the Baton Rouge Advocate:

The Tigers (11-2) made amends to their fans and each other for a 34-14 loss on the same field 27 days earlier against Georgia in the SEC Championship Game, and they became the third team in LSU history to win 11 games.

They did so by scoring the most points allowed this season by Miami and by holding the Hurricanes (9-3) to their fewest points of the season.

That combination produced LSU's largest margin of victory in a bowl game, Miami's largest margin of defeat in a bowl game, and the biggest blowout in Peach Bowl history.

Click
here for the rest.

I really thought I was going to be able to watch this game. As I'm sure I've mentioned here before, I've got what Cox calls "limited basic" cable, which means I don't get ESPN, which means I've missed a lot of cool games these last couple of seasons. But I knew that we would have cable at our guest room in New Orleans, and pretty much every place to which I've paid money to stay for the last ten years has had ESPN. Except this room. Yeah, I know, I was in the Quarter. Why the hell would I hang out in my room watching a football game when my own fun and games were waiting for me just a few blocks away? Well, LSU football is infectious, plain and simple. I suppose I could have found a bar somewhere showing the game, but I don't really get into that kind of scene. Instead, I monitered the stats in real time on ESPN's website, as I have for several other big games I've missed, and let me tell you, this game was kickass.

You know, I had pretty much developed the opinion that LSU's 10-2 record was a fluke, that they had gotten lucky. There were too many turnovers, too many close scrapes, too much sloppy play for them to be ranked as high as they were going into the SEC championship game which they lost to Georgia. But maybe the rattled-by-Katrina theory is more correct: perhaps the Tigers are great; perhaps all the hurricane spawned craziness caused the sloppiness. I don't know.

But how 'bout them Tigers!!!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$