Saturday, October 21, 2006

We refuse to work for homosexuals

From the Houston Chronicle:

At 9:08 a.m. Farber, who together with her husband, Todd, owns Garden Guy Inc., a landscaping company on Hillcroft, hit "send" on a message that delivered a painful blow with the verbal equivalent of a smiley face.

"Subject: Cancel Appt - Garden Guy

"Dear Mr. Lord,

"I am appreciative of your time on the phone today and glad you contacted us. I need to tell you that we cannot meet with you because we choose not to work for homosexuals.

"Best of luck in finding someone else to fill your landscaping needs.

"All my best,

"Sabrina"

Click here for the rest.

The article notes that the owners of Garden Guy are Christians, and their website has a statement about how "the God-ordained institution of marriage is under attack," complete with a link to an anti-gay marriage site. So I guess the Farbers' understanding of the Bible is that homosexuals ought to be shunned.

Hmmm...let's see. Jesus dined with tax collectors, who were hated and reviled throughout Judea. Jesus befriended prostitutes. Jesus rescued an adulteress from a psychotic mob of fundementalist weirdos. Jesus told the parable about the good Samaritan--Samaritans were the Palestinians of their day, hated and reviled even more than tax collectors. Jesus associated with lepers, who were even more shunned than AIDS patients were in the 80s. As he was dying on the cross, Jesus told the criminals who were being executed next to him that they would stand beside him in Heaven when it was all over. In short, Jesus was constantly reaching out to the most marginalized people in society, especially those who were universally condemned by the moral authorities.

I'm so sick of this shit. These Farbers aren't followers of Jesus, no matter how they self-identify: they're simply prejudiced assholes.

I'm personally certain that there is no such thing as Hell because no just God would ever create such a place. But sometimes I like to fantasize that there is, and the most satisfying part of such a fantasy is imagining the look on the faces of people like the Farbers and the Falwells and the Dobsons and the Robertsons when they realize how badly they'd fucked up right before fire and brimstone make their heads melt like that guy in the first Indiana Jones movie.

From the Book of Matthew:

21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Heh. I love that passage.



(Thanks to my old pal Anne, a fellow former Southern Baptist, and theater goddess of my Houston art-home, dos chicas, for sending this story my way.)

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$