Thursday, December 28, 2006

SLEEPY TIME FOR RON

From the Houston Chronicle:

Naps can help you catch up on sleep, alleviate stress

"We're biologically programmed to take a nap in midafternoon," says Max Hirshkowitz, an associate professor at Baylor College of Medicine who also directs the Sleep Center at Houston's Michael E. DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center. "It's the Industrial Revolution that separated us from siesta, because it was too expensive to shut down big machines in the middle of the day and turn them back on."

Even so, napping gets a bad rap, particularly in the current 24/7 culture.

"In the United States, we have this drive to be busy all the time," says Anne Frey, a dream practitioner and instructor at the University of Indianapolis. "If we nap, we're seen as lazy or trying to avoid something. In part, I blame it on economics. People are so driven for the dollar that taking a nap is considered wasting time."

Click here for the rest.

I also think that the divorce rate, illegetimate births, anxiety, depression, and a whole host of other modern problems also come from our ruthless and dehumanizing system of economics, but that's another story. The point is that I wholeheartedly agree with napping as a way of life, and try to do so whenever I've got the time. I'm just not the same for the rest of the day if I can't get a little shuteye in the afternoon, especially because I'm such a night owl. And it sounds like I've got medical science on my side here. But hey, I'm only listening to what my body's telling me. You should, too.

Go take a nap right now!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$