Friday, May 25, 2007

Paul McCartney Debuts Video on YouTube

From the AP via the Huffington Post courtesy of AlterNet:

Portman, 25, makes a cameo as a ghost in the video for "Dance Tonight," a track from McCartney's new studio album, "Memory Almost Full." The video had its world premiere Wednesday on YouTube.com.

"The connection with Natalie came from my daughter Stella, who makes non-leather shoes that Natalie buys, so I just thought, `Well, I'll ring her up and just see if she'll do it.' So I rang her up and said, `Hey, I'm Stella's dad!'" the 64-year-old former Beatle said in a statement posted on his Web site.

Portman, whose screen credits include "Closer" and "V for Vendetta," plays a "futurist electronic ghost" who is summoned by the sound of McCartney's mandolin.


Click here for the rest.

Okay, so of course I've checked this out, and, you know, it's not so bad. I mean, it's not his greatest work, obviously, but it's a good solid McCartney tune. He doesn't try to get too fancy or clever with it, sticks to the simple lyrics he does best, and it's all very rousing. Who knows? It might even end up being a hit. That happens sometimes: I'm still kind of amazed by "Take It Away" doing so well back in the early 80s, same with "Biker Like an Icon" in the early 90s. Maybe we'll all be humming "Dance Tonight" this summer.

Probably not, but check it out:



$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$