Saturday, May 19, 2007

YOUR MASTER OF FINE ARTS COMMANDS YOU TO EXPERIENCE:
TENOR SAX PLAYER DEXTER GORDON


So now that I am a MASTER of Fine Arts, I can take some overblown pretentious pleasure in telling you what to enjoy in terms of the fine arts. Today, I command you to listen to my favorite tenor player, Dexter Gordon.

From Wikipedia:

Many would characterise Gordon's sound as being 'large' and spacious (a feature partially owed to his physical stature), and his tendency to play behind the beat is discernible. One of his major influences was Lester Young. Gordon, in turn, was an early influence on John Coltrane during the 1940s and 1950s. Coltrane's playing, however, during his early period from the mid to late '50s or early '60s influenced Gordon's playing from then onward. Similarities in their styles include their clear, strong, metallic tones, their tendencies to bend up to high notes, and their abilities to single-tongue and still swing. One of Gordon's idiosyncrasies was to recite the lyrics of each ballad before playing it.

More here.

Here is a youtube fan video for my favorite Dexter Gordon song, "I Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Cry." The video's nice, a bunch of scenic nature shots from Japan, but doesn't really have much to do with Gordon; I'm really only linking it so you can hear the song.

You WILL listen to Dexter Gordon. Your MASTER of Fine Arts COMMANDS you! Now!



$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$