Saturday, October 13, 2007

FROM THE REAL ART SPORTS DESK
Kentucky topples top-ranked LSU in third overtime


From the AP via ESPN:

As a blue stream of Kentucky fans poured from the stands to celebrate the Wildcats' biggest victory in decades, Andre' Woodson was in the middle of the party calmly talking about taking down No. 1 LSU.

"It proved we're a team that obviously earns a lot more respect now," Woodson said after No. 17 Kentucky upset the Tigers 43-37 in triple overtime Saturday. "We've come a long way from being a doormat in the SEC to competing with the best teams in the SEC and getting some wins."


More here.

Ouch.

So my fellow Longhorn fan Matt couldn't wait to email me after the Tigers' stunning defeat:

Uh oh...

Better switch bandwagons pronto!
Again, ouch.

Needless to say, supporting the LSU Tigers can in no way be considered a "bandwagon" thing for me because, as with my love of Texas Longhorn football, I actually attended LSU. They're my second team, come rain or shine. Just for the record, I don't support teams with which I have nothing to do simply because they're winning--I'd be an LSU fan if they couldn't muster a single win, same with UT.

But I will say this. I know I love Texas most because it hurts much more when they lose big games. LSU's loss was a drag, but most of the season watching the 'Horns has been just downright painful. So now we have Texas bouncing back to salvage their season while the Tigers take a kick to the crotch.

I'm actually in a decent mood.

Anyway, other than the fact that Kentucky is good this year, and it was an SEC road game, I'm not sure why LSU lost. My best guess is that they got sloppy after their big one against Florida--six dropped passes is just not something I've seen the Tigers do this year. Focus, focus, focus. All SEC games are big ones.

Well, we've still got a shot at the conference. And maybe then we can start talking about the national championship again. Maybe. This is a good year for losing while staying in the hunt.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$