Monday, June 22, 2009

FROM THE REAL ART SPORTS DESK
LSU rallies to topple Texas in 11th in Game 1 of CWS finals


From the AP via ESPN:

OMAHA, Neb. -- Mikie Mahtook singled in the winning run in the top of the 11th inning after DJ LeMahieu tied the game in the ninth, and LSU survived Texas' five home runs to beat the Longhorns 7-6 in Game 1 of the College World Series finals Monday night.

LSU (55-16) would win its sixth national title with a victory over the Longhorns (49-15-1) on Tuesday night.


And

Texas is the first team since LSU in 1998 to homer three times in an inning at the CWS.

More here.

So, as you may know, I hold alumnus status with both Texas and LSU, which means that either way, my team wins. Of course, the flip side to that is that either way my team loses. But who am I kidding? I spent much more time in Austin than I did in Baton Rouge. I've got burnt orange blood. Tonight, it felt like my team lost.

I didn't really get to sit down and enjoy the game because I had to work, but it was slow, so I spent a lot of time in the bar checking the score, watching a few at bats here and there. From what I could tell, I really would have enjoyed the game, at least until the eleventh inning. I mean, one thing is pretty clear: both the Tigers and the Longhorns deserve to be in the CWS finals. There was some kickass shit out there on the diamond tonight. And for a moment or two there in the top of the ninth, it looked like the 'Horns were going to pull it off. But no. The Tigers managed to be just a little bit better in the eleventh. Harsh.

Ordinarily, I'd say "geaux Tigers" at this point, but it just doesn't seem right, all things considered. Instead, I'll say "hook 'em 'Horns!" We can still pull it off.

UPDATE: Texas wins to force game three!


Longhorn Connor Rowe is out at first as LSU Tigers Ryan Schimpf celebrates.
Ricardo B. Brazziell AMERICAN-STATESMAN


$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$