Thursday, July 16, 2009

Cats 'exploit' humans by purring

From the BBC courtesy of the Huffington Post news wire:

Researchers at the University of Sussex have discovered that cats use a "soliciting purr" to overpower their owners and garner attention and food.

Unlike regular purring, this sound incorporates a "cry", with a similar frequency to a human baby's.

The team said cats have "tapped into" a human bias - producing a sound that humans find very difficult to ignore.


More here.

As the article asserts, most cat owners are already aware of this, but it's nice to have my vague suspicions reinforced by science. It is important to note that things like science, literature, and opposable thumbs make human beings superior to cats. I'm certain of that. Certain.

Anyway, click through the link and watch the short video; it made me understand exactly what the article is talking about, you know, that motor boat chopper purring sound, not the quiet mellow purring sound--my cat Sammy does this all the fucking time, and it's frustratingly effective. But let's not forget the veritable arsenal of exploitative devices at the feline's command. There's jumping on the stomach. There's not burying the shit. There's howling and wailing for extended periods. There's purposely hiding while you search for hours. Little fuckers. I really am exploited. And they fucking know it.

But as a human being, at least I know I'm superior. I'm certain of that. Certain.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$