Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Fox analyst Carlson: Vick 'should have been 'executed'

From the AP via the Houston Chronicle:

Carlson was guest hosting for Sean Hannity's show on Fox News Channel on Tuesday night when he made the remarks. He led a panel discussion about President Barack Obama commending the owner of the Eagles for giving Vick a second chance after his release from prison. Vick served 18 months in federal prison for running a dogfighting ring.

Carlson says, "Michael Vick killed dogs, and he did (it) in a heartless and cruel way." He added, "I think personally he should have been executed for that."


A bit more
here.

Sigh.

Yes, I'm also dubious of Vick's miraculous repentance. I mean, after all, if I had the potential for multi-million dollar glory in the NFL waiting for me after some time in the slammer, I'd say and do all the right things, too. But really, Carlson says Vick should have died for his crimes? Pumped full of poison for abusing dogs? I don't think even PETA advocates that kind of thing. And neither does Carlson, really, who is definitely a conservative, but not the kind of nutbag usually employed by Fox. I think it's pretty obvious that he's pumping it up for Hannity's audience of inbred banjo players.

Nonetheless, this is disturbing for a couple of reasons. First, Carlson's rhetoric fits into the overall pattern of Fox personalities and other right-wing psychos calling down death on liberals; I have no idea what Vick's personal politics are, but he is black, which also means "liberal" to these people, who are often racist, too--I wonder how much post-conviction animosity they would have had toward the star quarterback if he was white. Second, and this is what really pisses me off, why the fuck don't these "Christian" conservatives emulate their hero Jesus Christ by forgiving people who repent? Whatever Vick's true motivations, he served his time, and it's very doubtful that he's ever getting into dog fighting again, if only because he has too much to lose.

Cut him some slack. He's trying to be good now. It's the Christian thing to do. You do believe in Jesus, right?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$