Monday, February 20, 2012

Zulu Social Aid & Pleasure Club

From Wikipedia:

The Zulu Social Aid & Pleasure Club (founded 1916) is a Carnival Krewe in New Orleans, Louisiana which puts on the Zulu parade each Mardi Gras Day. Zulu is New Orleans' largest predominantly African American carnival organization known for its blackfaced krewe members wearing grass skirts and its unique throw of hand-painted coconuts.

More here.

And that's what I'm going to be attending bright and early tomorrow morning. Of course, that will probably be after marching in from Bywater to the French Quarter with the Society of Saint Anne, which I've done now every Fat Tuesday since 2008--I'll be dressed as a sperm with a sign tacked to me saying "LIFE BEGINS AT EJACULATION," protesting, of course, stupid bullshit Republican politics on the issue. Anyway, I've never seen the Zulu parade before, and reports from friends who have seen it make it sound like it might be the best. To me, at least. I mean, bloody hell, fucking Louis Armstrong was fucking King of the Zulus back in 1949. This one's got some history and culture associated with it, for sure.

Pictures later, of course. But not tomorrow night, which I'm probably going to take off from blogging. After all, I'm drinking all day, and walking around, too. I'm gonna be tired.

Anyway, enjoy Louis Armstrong's "King of the Zulus" until I return. It's a good song:



Happy Mardi Gras!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$