Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Bill O’Reilly’s insane persecution fantasy: Hillary is the frontrunner because it’s “open season” on white men

From Salon, courtesy of Hullabaloo:

“If you are a Christian or a white man in the USA. it’s open season on you,” he said. “Therefore, Hillary Clinton has an advantage. She can run a general campaign — first woman in the White House, and I’m going to help you by increasing the entitlement society. It will take a very articulate and tough-minded Republican to defeat her.”

More here.

I imagine he means it's open season on white Christian men for liberals, that liberals are the hunters in this O'Reilly construction. So, as a liberal, I've just got to take a moment to break this down.

As a man, I don't feel men are under the gun at all. Indeed, I've got a great deal of unearned privilege just because I'm a man. People take me more seriously, for one thing, just in general. People tend to think I know what I'm talking about. And that's just my personal experience. Then you get into the statistics: men continue to be paid higher wages than women for the same work; men continue to dominate mid and upper level management in businesses from coast to coast; most of our political leaders are men, and so on. If it's open season on men, the hunters aren't terribly good with hitting their targets.

But wait; there's more!

As a white man, I don't feel whites are under the gun, either. For instance, in any and all encounters with the police, I feel like I have a MUCH better chance of walking away with my life and liberty intact. Indeed, I feel absolutely privileged as a white man. The dominant culture is the white culture, so I never ever at all feel like I'm somehow culturally out of my element. I mean, America is a white world, after all. Nobody with any real power is out to get me precisely because I'm white. Really, as a white man, I've got it totally made.

But there's also this business about CHRISTIAN white men being under attack.

Here's the deal on that. The vast, vast, vast majority of Americans self-identify as Christian. So if we are to accept that it's open season on white Christian men, we have to accept that it's open season on an enormously large percentage of the population. Such a large percentage that we would all definitely see it if commie liberal weirdos really are on the hunt. You'd see them on your street; you'd see them at work.

But where are they?

The reality is that you can't be elected to dog catcher in this country if you don't profess to being a Christian. How can it possibly be "open season" on Christian white men when that's virtually all of Congress?

Right, exactly. This is just more of O'Reilly's usual psycho bullshit. Never mind what this has to do with Hillary, a white Christian woman married to a white Christian man. There's just no real world evidence that it is "open season" on white Christian men in this country. O'Reilly's a total paranoid weirdo nut. But I guess that makes for good television.

If there is ANY truth to O'Reilly's paranoid ravings, it's that a lot of Americans are sick to death of ASSHOLE white Christian men. I mean, I know I am. But it has a lot less to do with gender, race, or religion than it has to do with the asshole part. In fact, I would say this has NOTHING to do with gender, race, or religion. It's all about the asshole.

And it's quite interesting, indeed, that O'Reilly's likely the biggest asshole in the entire country. No wonder he's paranoid.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$