Wednesday, August 26, 2015

WHY TRUMP? WHY NOW?

One of my former students appeals to the facebook hive mind:

I'm not much for politics. Although I do hold a liberal perspective on most matters, I do not consider myself a democrat. I believe that all politicians are just strung up; the face in front of the puppeteers that control them. But this Donald Trump ridiculousness.... How is it actually happening? Surely republicans are not this desperate? Why would you want this man to represent this country??
My response:
Having studied both American politics and the mass media, I feel like I know exactly what's going on. In short, it's that the GOP is now the freaked out white people's party intersecting with celebrity worship and love for the tough guy. Trump embodies both. And that's why he's not simply the front runner, but also beating the crap out of every other candidate.

He's got a shot, a real shot, at winning the nomination. I don't know whether that's good or bad for the country, though. I mean, he's awful, obviously, but I don't know what apolitical celebrity-worshiping Americans will do in the ballot booth. It's entirely feasible that he could become president.
'Nuff said.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$