Saturday, January 27, 2007

THE NEW REAL ART
Forced by Blogger

Well, as I mentioned last night, Blogger's forcing everybody to move over to the new Blogger. That is, they've got some big new software or server thingy going on, and they're making all their clients, which obviously includes me, switch to it. Whether they like it or not. This is probably not really much of an issue for most people posting on Blogger, but it is for me. I've been using Blogger since 2002, some months before Google bought the service, and my blog uses one of what they're now calling "classic templates." And my "classic template" is apparently not entirely compatible with the superfangled new Blogger. That's why my page, never an aesthetic delight in the first place, now looks like shit. My archives are unavailable, too, with the great new Blogger.

So now I have to choose a new template for Real Art.

The problem with that is that I've spent years, on and off, tweaking that "classic template" to suit my own tastes. I've even learned some html basics in doing so, which is a pretty good thing I guess, but it's time consuming. And that's what I'm faced with now. When I eventually adopt a new template, all those tweaks will be gone, and I'll have to start over from the beginning. I suppose that's not really much of a big deal, but like I said, it's going to take some time, which I don't really have at the moment. So, for about six weeks or so, I'm just going to have to deal with a crappy looking blog until I can bring whatever my new template will be up to speed.

Arrgh! This is really annoying. In the meantime, I've started up a new blog strictly for experimentation in the way of tweaking my new template. For now, I'm thinking that the new Real Art is going to look something like this:



What do you think? I'm not sure myself, but it does tend to retain much of the old look's generic flavor. Drop a comment and give me some advice if you like.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$